We're still taking online orders for delivery. The shop is currently open for PRE-ORGANISED COLLECTIONS ONLY, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 10am to 4pm.
Order online for delivery or to collect, or call 0115 911 0555, or email (N.B. Please wait for a confirmation email before visiting to collect orders).

Domaine La Barroche

Domaine La Barroche covers over 12.5 hectares and is made up of several parcels mainly in the north and northeast of the appellation. The grape varieties planted include Grenache, Mourvedre, Syrah, Cinsault, Terret Noir and Clairette. The average age of these vines is 60 years old with approximately one third of the Grenache vineyards being over 100 years old.

The grapes are hand harvested and go through a rigorous selection both in the vineyard and in the cellar. Vinification takes place in concrete tanks and is completely thermo-regulated. Julien practices soft extraction methods such as cold maceration prior to fermentation, with all the manipulations taken place according to the lunar calendar. The finished wine is matured in French oak barrels and bottled when Julien believes it fully shows its personality.

The hedonistic cuvee Pure, is produced entirely from old vine Grenache, originating from the same sandy vineyard, Grand Pierre which lies adjacent to Rayas. Julien's aim is to capture the very essence of Chateauneuf-du-Pape, reflecting the terroir with purity and finesse. With a different personality, but no less impressive, is the Cuvee Fiancee. This modern fashioned wine, shows the harmony that can be created by blending 100 year old Grenche vines, which give this cuvee its finesse with an equal quantity of young vine syrah creating colour, aroma, fruit and power. The Cuvee Terroir is a blend - 95% being 15 year old Grenache with 5% of other varieties, grown on two of the appellation's important sectors, Pialons and Cabrieres. As the name suggests the emphasis here is on the terroir, with no influence of new oak to hide its character.

Finally, there is the traditional cuvee of Domaine la Barroche, which is now known as the signature cuvee. This wine is produced from 64 % Grenache, 17% Mourvedre, 11% Syrah and 8% Cinsault. Each cepage is vinified and matured separately, prior to blending. The Mourvedre is aged on its lees in 2-3 year old barriques. 40% of the Grenache is matured in stainless steel vats, with the remaining 60%, the Syrah and the Cinsault all matured in old foudre. All varieties are aged for 18 months before they are blended and bottled without filtration. Julien now gives his signature to this cuvee as he believes it captures the essence of the estate and his winemaking philosophy.

The Barrot family have been vignerons in Chateauneuf-du-Pape since the 17th century when the domaine was founded by Alexandre Barrot. In 2002 Julien took over wine making duties after completing his studies. Like many young vignerons he is passionate about the terroir of Chateauneuf and sums up his philosophy thus:

Our wines are the expression of the terroir, a reflection of our soul, an invitation to travel in Provence. They represent the richness of our passion, our land and our history. One can describe our wines such as robust, rich, fruity, convivial, fleshy, surprising, spicy, round, and deep in structure.
Order by   
Be the first to hear about our wine tasting events, offers & new imports
Join thousands of other wine lovers & subscribe to get news about our latest offerings, new vintages and tastings delivered straight to your inbox

Change delivery country

Please note: For deliveries outside the UK the buyer is responsible for any import duty within their country.